‘We Are Ravenfield Primary Academy’ and our curriculum is designed for the children who make up our community and the world that they live in: at school, in the village, in Rotherham, in the UK and as part of a digital world.
We start with ‘The National Curriculum’ alongside the Foundation Stage Curriculum and our aims are:
- To develop Successful Learners who achieve their best by listening carefully, trying hard and never giving up.
- To develop Responsible Citizens who celebrate diversity, know that actions have consequences and care about the future of the world they live.
- To develop Confident individuals who believe in themselves and trust those around them. They become ambitious and accept nothing less than their very best.
In order to achieve these aims we are an inclusive school with these principles.
- We deliver a curriculum that intends to ensure that our children are challenged, excited and enthusiastic about their learning and that if our children have skills in a particular subject we will discover them.
- We aim for the skills and knowledge that is taught to be remembered and build on previous skills and knowledge.
- We value partnerships including with our parents and the wider community and encourage their participation in school life.
- We continue to develop all of the learners in our academy whatever stage in their career.
- We provide a stimulating, caring, inclusive and enjoyable environment in which our children feel safe and secure, where they can build self-esteem, develop confidence and embrace challenges.
- We encourage our children to ‘Be Responsible Be Respectful Be Kind’ every day. This helps to develop positive relationships with their peers, adults involved in school and the environment.
Core Learning Values
We have a core set of learning values that support our children to be independent learners to develop important learning skills. Our Ravenfield Learners know what to do when they don’t know what to do. They use their learning skills. We remember these using the 5 Rs!
- Resilience A resilient learner is persistent, keeps going and stays positive.
- Risk Taking A risk taking learner tries new ideas and learns from making mistakes.
- Reflectiveness A reflective learner evaluates and learns from their experiences.
- Resourcefulness A resourceful learner knows what to do when they don’t know what to do!
- Relationships A learner who values relationships works well as part of a team.
To achieve our vision we aim to teach all of the subjects, the core skills and knowledge that are vital for our children. Whenever possible these are linked through a meaningful theme. We recognise the importance of high-quality leaning in all of the subjects and when appropriate will teach these discretely.
At Ravenfield Primary Academy, we frequently discuss and reflect on our curriculum. We adapt our plans to meet the changing needs and interests of our children. At the beginning of a new subject, we encourage the children to talk about what they already know and what they would like to find out more about. English and maths feature throughout the curriculum giving our children the opportunity to read, write, calculate and reason in a variety of contexts.
In order to ensure the maximum engagement of our learners, our topics/subjects will:
- Excite An initial hook to engage the children in the topic/subject for example a visitor, a visit, a problem, an event in school, a mystery, a play etc.
- Explore Children must be given the opportunity to develop their knowledge and skills in different subjects. This must happen in different ways, not just by answering questions in books. E.g. exploring artefacts, looking for patterns, researching,
- Produce Children must have chance to work towards a real outcome for example an exhibition, a talk, a competition, an event, a performance, a party, a sponsored event, a procession, an enterprise event etc. This should bring together all of their learning in the subject or topic.