Read Write Inc
At Ravenfield Primary Academy we teach children to read and spell by using the Read Write Inc approach to the teaching of phonics. Read Write Inc., developed by Ruth Miskin, provides a structured and systematic approach to teaching literacy. It is used by more than a quarter of the UK's primary schools and is designed to create fluent readers, confident speakers and willing writers.
Read Write Inc. Phonics is a complete literacy programme, for 4 to 7 year-olds learning to read and write and for 7 and 8 year-olds needing to catch up quickly.
In Reception children...
- Read storybooks and non-fiction books closely matched to their developing phonic knowledge
- Take home Phonics storybooks to share
- Read with fluency and expression
- Learn to spell using known sounds
- Write confidently by practising what they want to write out loud first
- Work well with a partner
By the end of year 1 children...
- Are accurate and speedy readers and are ready to move onto the Literacy and Literacy Programme.
If you have further questions or want resources to help your child, either call in to school or follow the following links:
Read Write Inc Website: http://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/parents/
Phonics Play Website: http://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/
By the end of year 2 children...
- Are able to access a range of books and are able to talk about the stories they read
In key stage 2 children...
Read, think and talk about a wide range of high quality texts through the reciprocal reading approach
For more information please see our reading policy